What would you ask a LEGO Designer?
The LEGO Group has always been good at keeping secrets, but they are also working hard to build great relationships with the Adult Fan of LEGO community (AFOLs). They have invited several influential LEGO websites to a three-day event next week where we will participate in discussions with other AFOLs, presentations by several teams at LEGO, and the unveiling of the new Bugatti Chiron on Friday June 1.
I am most excited for the opportunity to meet one-on-one for interviews with LEGO designers and Community Engagement team members. Each interview is 30-minutes long, so I want to make the most of each session by asking questions which are interesting to Brick Architect readers like you.
Questions for LEGO Set Designers
I want to ask a few questions to each set designer I get an opportunity to talk with. This makes it possible to learn the unique perspecitivies of different designers on the same topic.
A few questions I’m already planning to ask:
- How does the limited selection of parts, and limited color palette influence your creative process? Do these limitations enhance your creativity, or interfere with it?
- Do you prototype new sets using real bricks or digitally?
- What digital design tools do you use, and how do they influence your design process?
- Have you had the opportunity to hide easter eggs in the sets you designed?
- What set are you most proud of, and why?
While I’m already working hard to create a list of questions that I think are interesting, I need your help! What have you always wanted to know about being a LEGO Set Designer?
Questions for specific teams
I am excited to have the opportunity to meet with several different teams at LEGO. As I mentioned earlier, each interview will be 30 minutes, and I will not get to meet with all of these teams. I wanted to share the list of possible interviews so you can help me ask great questions.
A few of the groups that we may get a chance to interview:
- LEGO Architecture
- LEGO Creator Expert
- LEGO Harry Potter
- LEGO Ideas
- LEGO Friends
- LEGO Minifigures
- TT Games
- Tormod Askildsen (head of AFOL Engagement)
- Signe Lønholdt (senior manager Community Growth / LEGO Ambassador Network)
I am also excited to craft specific questions for specific teams. Do you have questions for any of these specific teams? Let me know by leaving a comment below!
Please note that I will not ask questions about unreleased sets, as I know that employees will be unable to answer these questions.