LEGO Brick Labels

LEGO Brick Labels

LEGO Brick Labels is a collection of more than 950 labels to organize your LEGO collection. The collection includes labels for basic LEGO bricks and plates, hundreds of specialty elements, and over 100 Technic elements. It’s perfect for a large (or growing) LEGO collection!

LEGO Brick Labels now includes labels for most Technic parts.

Labels make it easier to find and organize your LEGO bricks.

January 5, 2017: Version 2.8 adds 55 new labels, with a focus on Minifigures, accessories, plants, and animals.

About the Labels

These labels are carefully designed to print using the economical Brother P-touch label printer, which prints high-quality glossy labels on durable plastic tape with a strong adhesive. They have been designed to work with a wide range of storage solutions, including my favorite: The affordable 64-drawer cabinets by Akro-Mils.

Sample Labels

Each label features a clear image of the brick, the common part name, and part number.

I designed each label to ensure you can find bricks quickly, and order more parts when you run out. That’s why each label includes a picture, common name, and the part number. The crisp images of each LEGO brick are created using custom scrips to enhance the contrast, ensuring that the images look great when printed. In cases where there have been several part variations, both part numbers are shown.

Download ‘LEGO Brick Labels’

The collection has been organized into groups of related LEGO elements, like Basic Bricks, Slopes, Hinges, Wedges, Curves, Technic and more. This makes it easier to find the labels you need. Most of the groups contain around 64 labels, which is the number of drawers in the highly recommended Akro-Mils 64-drawer cabinet. You will probably want to rearrange your groupings over time based on the bricks that you use most frequently, and bricks that you typically use at the same time.

Subscribe to my newsletter for early access to new models and instructions, LEGO Architecture news, updates to my Printable LEGO Brick Labels, and my book The LEGO Architect. (I promise that I won't email you very often.)

Compatible Brother P-Touch label printers

These labels are designed to be printed on 1/2″ label tape using a Brother Label printer (such as the PT-P700) on Brother 1/2″ Laminated Tape. These labels are waterproof, smudgeproof, durable, and they come in a variety of colors such as White, Pink, Yellow, Lime Green,Clear, and even Gold.

Any Brother printer which prints on “P-touch” 1/2 inch (12mm) labels will work. The higher-end PT-P700 seems to be the best value at this time.

Model Features Compatibility Learn more
PT-1230PC Lower-end model. Compatible with labels up to 1/2″ / 12mm. AC Adapter not included. (This is the model I own. I use six rechargeable AAA Batteries.)
MSRP 52.99$ (Often cheaper than PT-P700.)
PC Only PT-1230PC at Amazon
PT-P700 Recommended Model. Compatible with labels up to 1″ / 24mm. Power Adapter included.
MSRP 79.99$
PC + Mac PT-P700 at Amazon
PT-P750W Wireless Model. Supports WiFi, USB and NFC printing. Compatible with labels up to 1″ / 24mm. Power Adapter included.
MSRP 129.99$
PC + Mac PT-P750W at Amazon
PT-D600 Standalone Model w/ Keyboard Can create simple labels using the keyboard and small screen, or plug into PC/Mac to print LEGO labels. Compatible with labels up to 1″ / 24mm. Power Adapter included, or use AA batteries.
MSRP 79.99$
PC + Mac PT-D600 at Amazon
PT-2430PC Older version of PT-P700. It has most of the same features as PT-P700. Power Adapter included.
MSRP 79.99$ (Might be cheaper because it is retired product.)
PC Only PT-2430PC at Amazon
If you decide to buy a printer or label tape, please consider using the Amazon links on this page. I get a small royalty, which encourages me to update the label collection to include new elements.

How to Print LEGO Brick Labels

It’s pretty easy to print LEGO Brick Labels on a compatible Brother Label Printer (such as the PT-D600, PT-P700, PT-P750W, PT-1230PC, or PT-2430PC.)

Step-by-step instructions:

1. Ensure that you have a compatible Brother Label Printer. Only Brother label printers that plug in to your Windows PC or Mac are compatible with these labels. (Only the PT-D600, PT-P700, and PT-P750W models are Mac compatible.)
  2. Purchase 1/2″ Brother Label Tape. My labels are designed for 1/2″ label tape, which means that the labels will be 1/2″ tall by around 2″ wide (1.2cm by around 5cm). This size is perfect for common storage solutions like the 64-drawer cabinet by Akro-Mils.
  3. Download and Install Brother P-Touch Editor application. It’s available from the Brother website at brother.com/product/dev/label/editor/index.htm (There is a download link at the bottom of the page.)
  4. Connect the printer to your computer. In most cases you will use the included USB cable, although the PT-P750W model also supports wireless printing.
  5. Download LEGO Brick Labels. A download link is available at brickarchitect.com/labels
  6. Open .lbx files in Brother application. After installing the “Brother P-Touch Editor” application, you should be able to simply click on label files (with .lbx file extension) and the labels should appear in the “Brother P-Touch Editor” application.
  7. Print the labels you need. If you want to print all of the labels from a single file, click “File” in upper left of application and press “Print…”. (If you want to print just one label, you may need to carefully select the image and text, copy it from that file, and “paste” it into a new file.)
If you have any questions, leave a comment below!

LEGO Brick Storage

I have been very happy with the inexpensive plastic drawers manufactured by Akro-Mils. They make a 64-drawer cabinet which is perfect for sorting your collection by part. The drawers are not large, so I advise using a different storage system such as plastic bags in large plastic bins for those cases when you have more bricks of a specific type than you can store in one drawer. With so many labels, a storage system consisting of ten 64 small drawer cabinets, and two 24 large drawer cabinets for your most common bricks/tiles/plates is a good place to start.

Akro-mils also makes a 44 drawer cabinet containing 32 small drawers and 12 large drawers, but I have found that it’s easier to arrange the cabinets when each one contains only large or only small drawers.

My current storage solution consists of 15 Akro-mils cabinets.  The Sterilite drawers beneath them are used for bulk storage, complete sets, manuals, and more.

My current storage solution consists of 15 Akro-mils cabinets. The Sterilite drawers beneath them are used for bulk storage, complete sets, manuals, and more.

Some users prefer the similar system of drawers by the Stack-on brand. Their cabinets may fit better in your LEGO room since they are narrower and taller (than the Akro-mils cabinets.) The drawers are easier to break because they are made of a hard clear plastic. They come in a version with 60 small drawers, 18 large drawers, or a mix of 30 small and 9 large drawers.

Whether you choose Stack-On or Akro-Mils, I have found that Amazon is usually cheaper and has better selection than local stores. (Free two-day shipping with their Amazon Prime program is really convenient when knee-deep in sorting LEGO bricks…)

Akro-Mils (left) and Stack-On (right) are both popular storage options.

Akro-Mils (left) and Stack-On (right) are both popular storage options. They both offer products with just small drawers, just large drawers, or a mix of both (as shown).

For bulk storage, there are a lot of options, and you may find better prices at your local big box store like Fred Meyer, Walmart, or Target. I have been pretty happy with these large Sterilite drawers which you can use with or without the wheels.

This is where I store complete sets that aren’t built at this time, additional bulk bricks, instruction manuals, incomplete projects, and more.

History of LEGO Brick Labels

LEGO Brick Labels began in April 2014, when I decided to organize all of the bricks included in 21050 Architecture Studio into two 44-drawer Akro-mils cabinets. The label collection grew throughout 2014, as I purchased additional LEGO bricks while working on my book, The LEGO Architect.

After completing the book I finally had a chance to update the collection, so the number of labels doubled in November 2015! The Technic collection was completed by April 2016, and each subsequent update focused on less-common elements or newly added LEGO elements. (Did you know that there are about 30 new general-purpose LEGO elements every year?)

If you want to see which labels I added in each update, you can review the detailed version history.

Have these labels helped you get organized? I’d love to see your improved LEGO storage! Let me know you like them by leaving a comment below…

113 Responses

1. Laurie Morehouse says:

Hi Tom, thank you so much for the free labels! Just what all AFOL’s want! I am curious to know if there is a complete Lego Color Palette chart that you can either print or download that has ALL colors of past and present? I would like to laminate it so I can better compare my brick colors to the chart. Keep making labels, I love them!
    Thanks, Laurie

Laurie,
      There are some great color resources out there, but I don’t think anyone has tried to make a color palette including current and past colors. Unfortunately, what you ask for is really hard to do, as even high end printers and monitors are notoriously bad at printing exactly the right color. If the color on the printed swatch isn’t exactly right, it wouldn’t be helpful for sorting your LEGO bricks.

What I do is maintain a collection of bricks of each color I have, including both current and legacy colors. I can use this brick-built color palette to compare against other bricks in my collection.

—tom

2. Petra huijs says:

Hi. I am looking for lego friends labels. Can you help me with this? I looking for blooms skates lipstick etc. Hopefully you can help me. I have a lot of your items used en it looks very nice!

Petra,
      Thank you for your support of the Brick Labels project.

I am working on an update which may include a few of the parts you are looking for, but I am not likely to include all of the Minifig / friends accessories that you are looking for. My recommendation is to just do what I do – keep all of your LEGO Minifig accessories in a single drawer. I find it unnecessary to sort out each Minifig accessory into separate containers; I only do this for parts which I use to create larger models.

If you do need to sort your minifig accessories, your best bet is to create your own simple labels using photos from Bricklink. It won’t look quite as good, but it should help you get organized.

Sincerely,
      —tom

3. sean says:

Hi,
    Is the Brother PT-H500 handheld printer also compatible with these files – it can connect to the p-touch editor software, so I am assuming it will work
    Thanks

• tomalphin says:

I have no experience with the PT-H500 model, but I think it will work because 1) it uses the same label tape as the models I suggested, 2) it plugs in to a computer, and 3) because it says that it’s compatible with the same “Brother P-Touch” software application.

Good luck, and be sure to report back with your findings!
      —tom

4. robert says:

Hi Tom. I got my labels printed and i am slowly starting to sort through my legos. I have a couple Drawer Organizers to start with. Looking at what i have so far and what yet to sort into drawers, it looks like i will probably run out of room for some of the different sized Bricks. any suggestions on this issue?

5. pds says:

Labels for clear/translucent bricks?

• tomalphin says:

I do not create separate labels for clear bricks. That said, the 1×2 clear brick is actually a different part than the standard 1×2 brick (which has a post), and I do plan to include a separate label for the clear 1×2 brick.

6. Kayla says:

Is it possible to get another filetype for the labels? the .lbx ones only work with the Brother software, and you can’t download it without the serial number from a Brother printer. I was trying to separate them all from the pdf, but the quality is abysmal even after upping the dpi from 150 to 300 and changing it from a PDF to a TIFF file. It’s really just the image files, as I could do the text through Photoshop quite easily. I’d pay for usage of the files if necessary! Your images are so much better than any other out there!

Kayla,
      Unfortunately, it is too time consuming to create the labels in multiple formats, and I’m not aware of an app that can convert the labels to another format. It’s something I’ve gotten feedback about, but haven’t done because it would be really time consuming.

If you know someone with a Brother printer, maybe you can borrow it for a week?

Thanks,
      —tom

7. Ray says:

Is there some way to convert the file to one that works with a Dymo printer file format?

Ray,
      I’m sorry but it is too time consuming to make these labels for multiple formats, and I don’t have a Dymo printer anyways. Ask around – maybe a friend has a Brother printer you can borrow for a week?

Sincerely,
      —tom

8. robert says:

i am using your labels for first time. i am using a PT-P700 printer. can you print all the labels at once? or only one file at a time?

• tomalphin says:

You can only print one file at a time, but in my experience you can open a new file and hit “print” before the previous file finishes printing. Each file contains about 10 labels, so it shouldn’t take too long.

—tom

• robert says:

ok. thanks for the reply and the great label idea. just picked up a akro-mils orgnaizer and a stackon one as well. right now working on getting labels printing first. any suggestions or tips to get me started in the process?

• robert says:

also does the latest version of labels cover all the previous plus the ones you added? i am assuming it does.

9. PAco says:

Hi , quick question is is possible to get them bigger? love the labels and tried to make them about 2-3 times bigger but they go all pixelated.

• tomalphin says:

I’m sorry but it isn’t that easy to make them bigger. For the best results, I would suggest purchasing the wider 1″ Label Tape, and manually resizing the image and text within the Brother p-touch application.

10. Russ says:

This may sound odd but I thought I was done playing with Lego’s several years ago. After my kids were grown I wanted and game console so I could play game again. Long story short, I got into playing Lego Dimensions. As you play the game you build your vehicles and things to play the game. That renewed the Lego bug. To think of all those years I’ve missed. I’ve started a albeit, modest collection and even decided to purchase a label printer to keep things organized. (I needed one for other projects anyway.) So thanks for the labels to help me keep things organized, some day my kids or grandkids will thank you too.

• tomalphin says:

Russ, that isn’t odd at all! The LEGO videogames are a lot of fun, and the modern LEGO sets have a lot to offer to adult builders. You should search and find out if there is a LEGO User’s Group, or LUG in your area. It’s a great way to connect with other LEGO builders, share tips and tricks, trade parts, and participate in events.

I’m so glad to hear that my labels helped you get organized, and hopefully help you be more creative since you are no longer wasting time searching for a specific piece; like a needle in a haystack sometimes!

Sincerely,
      —tom

11. Wayne says:

This is great! I’ve started using your labels to organize our collection. Many of my pieces are old (30 years or so) and not in your label set. Any tips on how you created the icons so I can do the same for those parts? Happy to share what I end up with.

Thanks!

Wayne,
      The labels combine text which is easy to edit with custom LEGO part images which I’ve created using custom scripts. Those scripts only work on my PC and are hard to use, so your best bet is to find images online such as bricklink website. It won’t be as high contrast as the official labels, though.

Alternately, please feel free to let me know the most important missing parts, as I update the Label collection from time to time to include parts which other LEGO builders need most.

Sincerely,
      —tom

• Harm Jan says:

Hi Tom, can you add the categories Doors and Wings (also technic wings)? There are more parts which I think are in most collections and not in your label database yet, but these are categories that I guess are most important to add in my opinion. Thanks!

• tomalphin says:

Harm, I am always looking to improve the collection, and I agree that Doors and Wings are a good place to expand the collection. If you join my mailing list, I will email you when there is an update to the collection.

• Harm Jan says:

Thanks for your reply. I already did. Is this the place to give you suggestions for labels or should I email you that directly? At the moment I am making labels for my Lego collections (~80,000 pieces), so I can tell you very specific which labels I need.

12. Gabriel Alain Veg says:

Hello from France, I have bought your book but can you tell me where I can buy 3023 and 3024 tranparent. Many thanks in advance

13. I have downloaded the labels but was wondering how to import them to the label making program. Btw love your site and I am just beginning to wash and sort. Thank you for your tips they have helped me a great deal.

• tomalphin says:

You need to purchase one of the Brother label printers listed on my page. After that, make sure to install the “P-touch editor” application. Finally, you should be able to click on the .lbx files you downloaded from my website, and they will open in the Brother P-Touch Editor application.

Good luck, and happy sorting!

14. sydney peterson says:

Thanks for your website. I thought maybe I was going through my second childhood, but I’m finding others who enjoy Lego also. I do these with my daughter and her children and we have a great time. I buy a lot from the Goodwill store in Washington because they don’t charge to ship and they don’t glean them. My son sent me a picture of this old lady having her 100th birthday, being sad because the Lego box said Fun from 9 to 99.

15. Johannes says:

Thank you SO much for keeping this updated. Currently re-organizing my collection, and so happy to see that all the new Nexo Knight parts are included. Keep up the great work, this is a real time saver and my whole organization system evolves around it 🙂

16. Vincent says:

Thank you so much !

17. Lupita Escobar says:

WOW! How great is that! I am new to this and this will be of such help… especially to learn the names!