Chapter 7 (beta): Storage ideas from other LEGO Artists
See how talented LEGO Artists from around the world store their LEGO collections using a wide range of storage solutions highlighted in this guide.
BETA CONTENT NOTICE: This is an early draft of a new chapter for The LEGO Storage Guide. FEEDBACK WELCOME—Please leave a comment below if you have additional content I should include, or ideas to make this chapter even better!
Here are some of my favorite videos where prominent members of the AFOL community give us tours of their LEGO Storage Solutions.
- Inside the LEGO Room of Brickset Founder Huw Millington, Beyond the Brick.
Huw is the founder of the popular Brickset website. He has a dedicated LEGO room and sorts by both Part & Color.
- Pieces stored in hundreds of Really Useful Scrapbook Drawers with Hobby Insert (see our review).
- Ziploc bags of bulk parts are stored in four IKEA MALM Dressers with a display area on top.
- LEGO sets and models displayed in IKEA BILLY Bookshelves with glass doors.
- How I store and organize my LEGO, Bevins Bricks.
Most parts sorted by category/function, with common parts sorted by color.
- Most pieces stored in Sterilite Mini 3 Drawer Cabinets.
- Also uses some larger Sterilite 3-drawer ClearView Drawers.
- Adam Savage’s One Day Builds: LEGO Sorting and Storage System!, Tested (Adam Savage).
Most famous for his role on MythBusters, Adam builds a custom storage solution for his LEGO collection in this video.
- In the video, Adam builds a custom cabinet to store ArtBin Super Satchel Art & Craft Organizers which come in both Slim and Double Deep sizes.
- He also shows us how quickly he can create custom boxes out of foam core and an industrial hot glue gun.
- Also, in Workshop Hardware Storage! (at 19:46) , Adam gives an elegant explanation of his philosophy on where to put stuff, which is equally relevant for LEGO enthusiasts.
- LEGO Room Tour (Ep1) – Kevin Hinkle, Solid Brix Studios.
- JANGBRiCKS LEGO Parts Collection Tour 2018, Beyond the Brick.
- How to Sort and Store LEGO. Tips for Sorting & Storage Bins. Tutorial: Create Labels for LEGO, FAMILY Bricks.
- Storage solutions: Ogelsbob, Brickset.
Bob has been collecting since 2002. His collection is sorted by part and color (with brick, plate, and tile of the same color stored together). He uses official LEGO EL709 Storage Boxes (circa 2006), Snapware Snap & Stack containers (from Joann Fabric), Sterilite Snap & Carry containers (from Target), and Plastic shoe containers. Wire shelving for storage, IKEA LINNMON tables for displaying models.
- Storage solutions: dpadovano, Brickset.
Damon uses open-front stack bins, Sterilite drawers in two sizes, and Akro-mils, mostly 64 small drawer cabinets. Sorted by Color first, then part.
- Storage solutions: fakespacesquid, Brickset.
Charlie uses a mix of 12 different storage solutions (PaB, Ziplock, Tackle Boxes, Dots Bins, dollar store bins). To speed-up sorting, he uses sorting sieves including sorting head and brick-built sieve. He employs “overflow storage” in his workspace, keeping a reasonable number of each part handy, with more in ziploc bags that are harder to access. Also recommends that you “do your research into storage before you buy”.
- Storage solutions: Higdond, Brickset.
Deborah uses an IKEA Desk & Shelving, Drawers from Gracious Living (Canada) with dollar store tray compartments in each drawer. Common parts are sorted by element, with a whole tower for each of the most common colors. Less common parts are first sorted into categories, then color groups, and finally by element (if she has a lot of that part).
- Storage solutions: AddictedToStyrene, Brickset.
Ed in Australia builds and stores LEGO in a large room that doubles as a kids playroom. Most of the pieces are stored in stationery drawers, sorted by piece or part category.
- Storage solutions: aminster85, Brickset.
Adam has a huge number of sets on display, and a small building area with pieces stored in Akro-Mils Drawer Cabinets.
- Storage solutions: Alexs1979, Brickset.
Uses a variety of plastic storage bins.
- Storage solutions: Jon, Brickset.
Plastic storage bins, Tackle Boxes, and IKEA KALLAX Shelves.
- Storage Solutions: doe, Brickset.
LEGO room with a raised glass floor above a large LEGO display.
- Storage solutions: the27thMONKEY, Brickset.
Several rooms of complete LEGO sets displayed on shelves.
Do you have a beautifully organized LEGO collection (or know someone who does)? Send us a link by leaving a comment below!