Section I: Organizing, Sorting, & Storing LEGO Bricks
Section I of my LEGO Storage Guide is designed to help you organize, sort, and store your LEGO Bricks.
In the next six chapters, I will guide you through the process of understanding your LEGO collection, identifying an appropriate organizational strategy, and picking the right storage solution. We’ll wrap up with some additional tips and tricks from experienced LEGO builders.
- Intro to Organizing, Sorting, & Storing LEGO Bricks (current page)
- Chapter 1: Understanding your LEGO Collection
- Chapter 2: Organizing your LEGO Bricks
- Chapter 3: LEGO Storage for Small Collections
- Chapter 4: LEGO Storage for Medium Collections
- Chapter 5: LEGO Storage for Large Collections
- Chapter 6: Additional LEGO Brick Storage Tips & Tricks
I started looking for the perfect way to organize and store my LEGO Bricks after purchasing the LEGO Architecture Studio set in 2013. My collection has grown since then, especially when writing my book, The LEGO Architect.
As I started organizing my collection into cabinets with drawers, I created labels for each new part. I shared my LEGO Brick Labels with LEGO enthusiasts around the world; the collection has since grown to include labels for over 1000 LEGO parts!
In talking with many LEGO enthusiasts, I’ve learned that there are many different approaches to sorting and storing LEGO pieces — I’ve even had a chance to visit a few of their homes to see how their collections are organized. These experiences inspired me to write this LEGO Storage Guide. I initially thought that it would be a single page with a few top-rated storage solutions, but decided that an in-depth guide would be more valuable. I hope it helps you get more organized and be more creative!
Why focus on LEGO bricks?
This Section focuses on the best ways to organize and store your LEGO pieces. Why?.. because the majority of LEGO collections contain lots of unused LEGO pieces that are not sorted by set.
Organization vs. Storage vs. Sorting
It’s not easy to decide how to organize your collection, and find the perfect storage. Let’s start by making sure we understand the difference between these three related terms.
- Organization — A set of rules that help you decide which container to put each piece in.
- Storage — The large or small containers where you keep your LEGO pieces.
- Sorting — The process of putting each piece in the right place.
In other words, you will sort your LEGO bricks into your storage based on your system of organization. Let’s get started…
Organizing your LEGO collection might seem daunting. For many people, it feels like a chicken and egg problem: you need to try different storage containers in order to pick the perfect organization system for your collection, but you don’t want to buy storage containers until you decide what you need. This guide helps you pick the right organization based on your needs, rather than trial-and-error.
Let’s organize your LEGO collection in three easy steps:
- Understanding your LEGO Collection — Let’s learn about the primary LEGO builder in your home, how many LEGO bricks you have, and where you want to store your collection.
- Organizing your LEGO Collection — We’ll determine the right level of organization based on the size of your collection and your needs.
- Finding the best LEGO Storage Solutions — I’ll show you the best LEGO storage options for LEGO collections of any size.
While personal LEGO collections are the focus of this guide, these recommendations may be relevant for teachers who use LEGO in an academic setting (such as using the LEGO Mindstorms kit to teach Robotics), people running BrickLink stores, or for professional LEGO artists.