The LEGO Storage Guide

This in-depth LEGO Storage Guide will help you understand your LEGO collection, find the best way to organize your LEGO bricks, and discover the best LEGO storage for your home and budget. It also includes recommendations for displaying and storing your LEGO minifigures.

Introduction

Table of Contents

Subscribe to the Brick Architect newsletter for early access to exclusive content, the latest articles, and updates to the Printable LEGO Brick Labels, LEGO Storage Guide, and my book The LEGO Architect.

I give Brick Architect consent to send email using the information provided in this form.

What to expect: Brick Architect is committed to respecting your personal data and privacy, in accordance with our Privacy Policy. Please feel free to unsubscribe at any time using the link at the bottom of every email we send.

If you find a mistake or have suggestions to make this guide better, please let me know! You can leave a comment below, or email me at tom@tomalphin.com. Thanks!

35 Responses

1. MJ Summers says:

Hi Tom! I love your site I used your labels as a base to make ones that suited my specific collection. I added color bars for common parts and rainbow color bars for less common and smaller elements! This helped a lot between your color chart and label images. I just wanted to request or mention two elements the 1x2x3 brick and the the 1x2x5 wall element with groove. I would love to send you photos of the drawer and bin system I’m using with your labels! I very much appreciate your dedication to making the afol community a more organized place!

2. ironman66 says:

This post is amazing and I get knowleged in this.Thank you very much!

3. Justin says:

Thank you for pulling all of this information together, and sharing it! I learned so much about the best ways for me to sort, and made a change to what I was doing that’s already proven to be successful! I’d previously sorted by color and then separated out some elements and had a TON of ziplocks that were hard to use with my collection. I switched to sorting into six main categories (bricks, 1x_ bricks as I use them a lot in our mini-scenes for our instagram account, plates, 1x_plates, slopes, SNOT, and Other, with a smaller number of ziplocks to separate the Other (plant pieces, minifig accessories, 1x1s, round tiles, square or rectangle tiles, printed/stickered pieces, etc.). I just built my first MOC after re-sorting and found it SO much easier and faster to build, and easier to tidy up afterward! I have a medium-sized collection, and am using two 3-drawer XL Sterilite containers, and am considering transferring the ziplock contents soon into a Sterilite snap-close container with multiple divided sections that come out of the container. I also appreciated reading all of the helpful comments from others!

4. jraedisch says:

My LEGOs are pretty well orgnized, but I came across a small problem: I sometimes don’t know, what to build. When my bricks were all in a big box, I could just grab a hand. That’s the idea behind https://brickshuffle.com . Maybe it’s useful to someone else here, too.

5. sachabricks says:

Hy Tom

Sorry for the late reply. I actually ordered on Amazon.de (Germany) and I got the Iris boxes… I think you mentioned them somewhere. They are absolutely awesome and have an amazing price. Here is the Link: https://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B00KRAWM5Y/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1 / Iris Drawer Box with 12 Drawers… really great, especially for €50.-

6. Will says:

Thanks for sharing. This gives me some great ideas, I just inherited a huge lot of Lego bricks and am always looking for different organizational and storage ideas.

7. Andrew says:

I would be interested to learn how you decide which elements to make labels for and which to exclude. I am attempting to come to grips with a pretty large lego collection, and I am finding some gaps, even given the extensive number of labels you already have produced. (The “technic” batch had more of my elements than I initially realized, so that closed my perceived ‘label gap’ considerably.)

I am traveling for work at the moment, but I wonder: If I came up with a list of elements still missing labels if they might be considered for Label Batch 3.1?

• tomalphin says:

Andrew,
      There are a few factors that impact the likelihood of creating a label:
      1) Is the part common? How many sets contain it? Do you usually just get one in a set, or do you get a bunch?
      2) Is it a general-purpose part? Can it be used in a variety of themes, and in alternate ways?
      3) Does it come in a range of colors? If it only comes on one color, it needs to be pretty common. (ex many Technic elements).
      3) Is it retired? I’m extremely unlikely to make labels for parts which have been retired.
      4) Lastly, do I personally have a number of that part? (It’s not the primary motivation for adding new parts to the collection, but there are definitely some less common parts already in the collection because I happen to have a few of them.)

I’m currently focused on brand new parts that are likely to become common soon, and parts which are still in production and come in at least 40 sets. You can always ask, and i’ll see what I can do.

—tom

8. Dennis Bertram says:

Great Guide! Over the past few months, I have been regularly looking for inspiration on how to store my LEGO supply in the best way possible. I never came across experience reports that satisfied my high standards. That really has changed with your guide.

For a dust- and scratch-free storage of my minifigures, I now use and highly recommend the “Feldherr Storage Box for 144 miniatures” with rectangular compartments (https://www.feldherr.net/feldherr-storage-box-for-144-miniatures/a-53529/).

My first box was for 180 miniatures (https://www.feldherr.net/feldherr-storage-box-for-180-miniatures/a-53530/). But the asymmetrical compartments of the foam trays are partly too short, so I have to fold in the legs of the figures. That’s not bad, but I’d like it different. And they are partly too small for minifigures with headdress or accessories. Only the first and last row of trays are slightly larger so that an “outstretched” minifig will fit in.

This solution may be a little over the top, but I think it’s good.

• tomalphin says:

Dennis,
      That seems a little bit over-the-top for LEGO minifigures, but I’m glad to hear that it’s working well for you.

The 144 miniatures box is available in the USA as well, currently for 39.99$ http://amzn.to/2i2XYz2 (Not a bad price for something that can store so many minifigs!)

9. Logan says:

Great article, this is a detailed video on the Papimax storage boxes mentioned:

• tomalphin says:

Logan, I haven’t tried your product yet since it’s not readily available in the US, but it looks pretty good from what I can see. Thanks for sharing the video.

—tom

10. Spy Tha says:

Great compiled information. Already posted your link to our LUG site (Gricks) for new and old members to read. In the future you can always add a section with the timeless question of what happens with the stored bricks/minifig parts, if left connected for a (very) long period, but i guess that’s a borderline psychotic one 😛