LEGO Brick Labels

LEGO Brick Labels

LEGO Brick Labels is a collection of more than 1000 labels to organize your LEGO collection. The collection includes labels for basic LEGO bricks and plates, hundreds of specialty elements, and over 100 Technic elements. It’s perfect for a large (or growing) LEGO collection!

Version 3.0 adds 66 new labels.

September 6, 2017: Version 3.0 adds 66 new labels, with a focus newly released elements. This update improves the label quality across the entire collection, and simplifies the file and folder names.

About the Labels

These labels are carefully designed to print using the economical Brother P-touch label printer, which prints high-quality glossy labels on durable plastic tape with a strong adhesive. They have been designed to work with a wide range of storage solutions, including my favorite: The affordable 64-drawer cabinets by Akro-Mils.

LEGO Brick Labels now includes labels for most Technic parts.

Labels make it easier to find and organize your LEGO bricks.

I designed each label to ensure you can find bricks quickly, and order more parts when you run out. That’s why each label includes a picture, common name, and the part number. The crisp images of each LEGO brick are created using custom scrips to enhance the contrast, ensuring that the images look great when printed. In cases where there have been several part variations, both part numbers are shown.

Sample Labels

Each label features a clear image of the brick, the common part name, and part number.

Download ‘LEGO Brick Labels’

The collection has been organized into groups of related LEGO elements, like Basic Bricks, Slopes, Hinges, Wedges, Curves, Technic and more. This makes it easier to find the labels you need. Most of the groups contain around 64 labels, which is the number of drawers in the highly recommended Akro-Mils 64-drawer cabinet. You will probably want to rearrange your groupings over time based on the bricks that you use most frequently, and bricks that you typically use at the same time.

Subscribe to my newsletter for early access to new models and instructions, LEGO Architecture news, updates to my Printable LEGO Brick Labels, and my book The LEGO Architect. (I promise that I won't email you very often.)

Compatible Brother P-Touch label printers

These labels are designed to be printed on 1/2″ label tape using a Brother Label printer (such as the PT-P700) on Brother 1/2″ Laminated Tape. These labels are waterproof, smudgeproof, durable, and they come in a variety of colors such as White, Pink, Yellow, Lime Green,Clear, and even Gold.

Any Brother printer which prints on “P-touch” 1/2 inch (12mm) labels will work. The higher-end PT-P700 seems to be the best value at this time.

Model Features Compatibility Learn more
PT-1230PC Lower-end model. Compatible with labels up to 1/2″ / 12mm. AC Adapter not included. (This is the model I own. I use six rechargeable AAA Batteries.)
MSRP 52.99$ (Often cheaper than PT-P700.)
PC Only PT-1230PC at Amazon
PT-P700 Recommended Model. Compatible with labels up to 1″ / 24mm. Power Adapter included.
MSRP 79.99$
PC + Mac PT-P700 at Amazon
PT-P750W Wireless Model. Supports WiFi, USB and NFC printing. Compatible with labels up to 1″ / 24mm. Power Adapter included.
MSRP 129.99$
PC + Mac PT-P750W at Amazon
PT-D600 Standalone Model w/ Keyboard Can create simple labels using the keyboard and small screen, or plug into PC/Mac to print LEGO labels. Compatible with labels up to 1″ / 24mm. Power Adapter included, or use AA batteries.
MSRP 79.99$
PC + Mac PT-D600 at Amazon
PT-2430PC Older version of PT-P700. It has most of the same features as PT-P700. Power Adapter included.
MSRP 79.99$ (Might be cheaper because it is retired product.)
PC Only PT-2430PC at Amazon
If you decide to buy a printer or label tape, please consider using the Amazon links on this page. I get a small royalty, which encourages me to update the label collection to include new elements.

How to Print LEGO Brick Labels

It’s pretty easy to print LEGO Brick Labels on a compatible Brother Label Printer (such as the PT-D600, PT-P700, PT-P750W, PT-1230PC, or PT-2430PC.)

Step-by-step instructions:

1. Ensure that you have a compatible Brother Label Printer. Only Brother label printers that plug in to your Windows PC or Mac are compatible with these labels. (Only the PT-D600, PT-P700, and PT-P750W models are Mac compatible.)
  2. Purchase 1/2″ Brother Label Tape. My labels are designed for 1/2″ label tape, which means that the labels will be 1/2″ tall by around 2″ wide (1.2cm by around 5cm). This size is perfect for common storage solutions like the 64-drawer cabinet by Akro-Mils.
  3. Download and Install Brother P-Touch Editor application. It’s available from the Brother website at brother.com/product/dev/label/editor/index.htm (There is a download link at the bottom of the page.)
  4. Connect the printer to your computer. In most cases you will use the included USB cable, although the PT-P750W model also supports wireless printing.
  5. Download LEGO Brick Labels. A download link is available at brickarchitect.com/labels
  6. Open .lbx files in Brother application. After installing the “Brother P-Touch Editor” application, you should be able to simply click on label files (with .lbx file extension) and the labels should appear in the “Brother P-Touch Editor” application.
  7. Print the labels you need. If you want to print all of the labels from a single file, click “File” in upper left of application and press “Print…”. (If you want to print just one label, you may need to carefully select the image and text, copy it from that file, and “paste” it into a new file.)
If you have any questions, leave a comment below!

LEGO Brick Storage

I have been very happy with the inexpensive plastic drawers manufactured by Akro-Mils. They make a 64-drawer cabinet which is perfect for sorting your collection by part. The drawers are not large, so I advise using a different storage system such as plastic bags in large plastic bins for those cases when you have more bricks of a specific type than you can store in one drawer. With so many labels, a storage system consisting of ten 64 small drawer cabinets, and two 24 large drawer cabinets for your most common bricks/tiles/plates is a good place to start.

Akro-mils also makes a 44 drawer cabinet containing 32 small drawers and 12 large drawers, but I have found that it’s easier to arrange the cabinets when each one contains only large or only small drawers.

My current storage solution consists of 15 Akro-mils cabinets.  The Sterilite drawers beneath them are used for bulk storage, complete sets, manuals, and more.

My current storage solution consists of 15 Akro-mils cabinets. The Sterilite drawers beneath them are used for bulk storage, complete sets, manuals, and more.

Some users prefer the similar system of drawers by the Stack-on brand. Their cabinets may fit better in your LEGO room since they are narrower and taller (than the Akro-mils cabinets.) The drawers are easier to break because they are made of a hard clear plastic. They come in a version with 60 small drawers, 18 large drawers, or a mix of 30 small and 9 large drawers.

Whether you choose Stack-On or Akro-Mils, I have found that Amazon is usually cheaper and has better selection than local stores. (Free two-day shipping with their Amazon Prime program is really convenient when knee-deep in sorting LEGO bricks…)

Akro-Mils (left) and Stack-On (right) are both popular storage options.

Akro-Mils (left) and Stack-On (right) are both popular storage options. They both offer products with just small drawers, just large drawers, or a mix of both (as shown).

For bulk storage, there are a lot of options, and you may find better prices at your local big box store like Fred Meyer, Walmart, or Target. I have been pretty happy with these large Sterilite drawers which you can use with or without the wheels.

This is where I store complete sets that aren’t built at this time, additional bulk bricks, instruction manuals, incomplete projects, and more.

History of LEGO Brick Labels

LEGO Brick Labels began in April 2014, when I decided to organize all of the bricks included in 21050 Architecture Studio into two 44-drawer Akro-mils cabinets. The label collection grew throughout 2014, as I purchased additional LEGO bricks while writing my book, The LEGO Architect.

After completing the book I finally had a chance to update the collection, so the number of labels doubled in November 2015! The Technic collection was completed by April 2016, and each subsequent update added less common parts or newly released LEGO elements. (Did you know that there are about 30 new general-purpose LEGO elements every year?)

If you want to see which labels were added in each update, read the detailed version history.

Have these labels helped you get organized? I’d love to see your improved LEGO storage! Let me know you like them by leaving a comment below…

132 Responses

1. Lynne says:

I definitely think I’ve fallen in love- with a website!! As someone who suffers from OCD and Lego hoarding tendencies, I resonate with your organizational and labeling ideas in ways I cannot explain. I’ve loved Legos since I was a toddler and 35 years later, I have a 7 year old son who *thinks* he loves them as much as me. I use him as an excuse to buy whatever I can and we now have over 80 sets in my house. I build, he takes apart… Needless to say, it’s time to organize better than what we currently have so I came across your site in my research. I’ve downloaded the labels and am lucky enough to have a mechanic for a father so we have several parts drawer cabinets we can use. Here’s my dilemma: Only in the last few years have I been saving the spare parts that come in the sets (previous sets’ have been mixed in with the masses) and the instruction books in gallon sized ziplock baggies and update an Excel database. Now that I have a 75 gallon (?) tote overloaded with baggies and a few special edition boxes, I ask: what is the best way to store the booklets? Should I allow the spare parts to go with the rest of the Legos and is it feasible to hole punch the baggies and store the books in a 3 ring binder? I appreciate your feedback, as I’m sure your organized mind is a lot more rational than my cluttered “must. keep. everything.” brain. Thanks for such a wonderful site, I look forward to visiting for the updated labels.

• tomalphin says:

Thanks for the kind words. It always brings me happiness to hear that someone has enjoyed the labels, as i put a ridiculous amount of time into designing and updating them!

Q: What is the best way to store the booklets?

My instinct and personal choice is to use a small file cabinet. They are cheap, and perfectly suited for storing flat paper objects. Pou can use one manila envelope per set, or per theme – personal choice, really.

Sincerely,
      —tom

2. Wilco van Vliet says:

Try to print the labels but in 12mm tape the’re top high printed.
    Missing the top of the labels.
    Uwe A p750w with mac.

• tomalphin says:

The 12mm / .47″ tape is correct. The labels are carefully designed to make use of all of the available vertical height. I have not heard of any issues with cut-off text or images before. Is it possible you nudged the text in the editor before printing?

I’d love to know what went wrong so we can remedy it for you and others who have the same issue in the future.

thanks,
      —tom

3. D. Terlinde says:

I have downloaded the labels and want to start putting them on the cabinets. I was wondering if you could identify each cabinet in your Large Picture for each of the 15 cabinets. I am 70 and am doing this for my grandson for a Christmas present. Any help you can give will greatly be appreciated. Thanks! D.

• tomalphin says:

How you organize your cabinets is a personal decision. The taxonomy (groupings) need to make sense to your grandson as a LEGO builder. I don’t have anything I can share at this time, beyond a simple suggestion to order the cabinets in roughtly the same organization as the label collections themselves, with a cabinet for bricks, one for SNOT, a couple cabinets for Technic, etc… He is likely to reorganize them as he uses the system, which is perfectly expected.

Good luck! It’s a time consuming task but pretty amazing when it’s all done.

4. Vince Pale says:

Hey Tom,
    Love the labels. Noticed on the contact sheet pdf, 11203 Tile, Inverted 2 x 2 shows part number 14719.

Might be fixed in the actual label files, but I’ve just been extracting the lbx files (which seem to just be .zip) and nabbin’ your awesome images, and using them in my own labels in gLables on Linux for my p-touch ql-500.

5. Loren says:

Thank you for making these great labels available. I am using v2.7 and noticed a small error in wedge_plate2.lbx. Part 32059 is labeled as a 4×8 Wedge, but I believe it should be labeled as a 4×6 Wedge. Thanks again for the hard work and I hope you keep updating the labels. I am also enjoying The LEGO Architect book; bought 2 copies, one for myself and one for my nephew.

Thanks @Loren,
      I have updated the label in my collection, and the correction will be included in the upcoming v2.8.

Sincerely,
      —tom

6. Travis says:

Hi Tom-

I have been looking for a way to store/sort my Lego’s and decided to take your advice and purchase the Akro-Mils storage systems and the P700 Brother label maker to start my adventure. I had a question regarding the Brother label maker and how you got the picture of the bricks on your labels. I have a few bricks that aren’t in your downloadable ones, and I would like to keep up the pictures to make it easy to find. Thanks for the suggestions and the help!

@Travis,
      I created custom scripts that I use with LDraw and MLCad to create the crisp images. There isn’t a convenient source to get high quality, consistent, high contrast images. I also had to pick the preferred camera angle for each part.

I suggest making your own labels with the best photos you can find. You can also request missing labels on this website, and we’ll see what I can do.

—tom

7. Mike S. says:

Hi Tom,

I am looking to get into sorting everything and was wondering if it would be possible to print these on the inch tape as opposed to the 1/2 inch? Will they be bigger or will it just print it the 1/2 inch size on inch tape?

Thanks,

• tomalphin says:

My printer is not compatible with the 1″ tape, but from what I have heard you will need to manually re-design the labels to use larger fonts for best results on 1″ tape. That said, try the 1/2″ labels – They are big enough for most scenarios.

8. Sam Erens says:

Awesome! Now I can organize my extensive Lego collection. However, does anyone know if I can convert a .lbx file to a .label? I have a Dymo LabelManager 280 and the software cannot open a .lbx file. Does it only work with the P-Touch? I don’t want to have to buy another label printer just for these labels. I’m running OS X 10.11.6. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

• tomalphin says:

I’m sorry, but I don’t think there is a way to print these with a Brother printer. It’s unfortunately not practical for me to maintain two label collections.

Good luck!

• Sam Erens says:

It’s okay I was just wondering if anyone knew a way. I contacted Dymo and they said the best solution would be to screenshot each label, but that sounds tedious. I think I’ll look into buying a Brother but from what I’ve heard they don’t do so well with Macs. Thanks for the info.

9. joeyuen says:

cool stuff.. i just brought the container with 42 drawer. the label is useful.. before i print it out, i would like to ask 1.the label can print out with normal printer ? and when i print it in normal printer, the output is going to have same size with the label printer?

• tomalphin says:

Can I print the label with normal printer ?

You can print the .pdf sample pages using a normal printer, but the results might not be very good.

These labels are carefully designed to look great using the inexpensive Brother Label Printer and tape that I suggest on my website. The labels are on plastic, very durable, and high quality. I think you will be pleased with the results.

Good luck,
      —tom

10. Joe says:

I am having trouble finding the script files? Did you remove them from the download? And thanks for all the hard work on the current labels, well done!

• tomalphin says:

I removed them from the latest versions because they were too difficult to use and therefore of limited value. Maybe I can clean up the scripts and share it in a future update. Thanks for the feedback, and I’m glad to hear that the labels are working well for you!

11. Adrienne says:

Thank you! I bought my son several containers and drawer sets to organize (well, contain) his LEGOs but haven’t gotten them labeled because it takes far too much time to find a clear image of each piece. I finally decided to just bite the bullet when I happened across your labels. Because I’ve tried several times already, I can appreciate how much time and effort you must have put into making them. Thank you for sharing and saving the rest of us the frustration!!!

12. Mark Vroman says:

Tom, Thx for al the effort you put in this. How do you the different colours?

• tomalphin says:

I don’t bother sorting my LEGO collection by color, but if I did, I would probably use the same generic labels since the color of the parts contained within are visible through the plastic drawers.

13. Brian says:

Tom – Thank you for sharing these labels. I had started creating my own labels, similar to yours, but it
    was difficult to find clean image graphic files until I came across your site. I’m definitely getting a copy of your book and may get a few copies for friends of mine. Thank you.

14. John G says:

Thank you for your continued work on this! It has made organizing much easier.

Here’s another list of odds & ends for your consideration:
    * Brick 1x3x5 (3755)
    * Flower Stalk (3741)
    * Ladder 1x2x2 (4175)
    * Technic Steering Arm (4261)
    * Technic Catch (6553)
    * Facet Brick 3x3x1 (2462)
    * Walkie Talkie (3962)

Thanks again!

15. Tom, I can’t thank you enough! I already had my Brother 2700 for labeling and have made many attempts to keep up with my collection….
    (five years out of date but you get the idea).
    Words, however, fall short; some parts just defy a written description e.g. # 2464 – Modified facet 3x3x2 bottom!! That would mean nothing to me so I wrestled with trying to figure out how to do pictures. Unfortunately I am a bit computer technology challenged (even being an EE – designing microchips is WAY different from mining the depths of the internet and learning software apps!) and, basically, got nowhere!
    Anyway, I printed all your labels and haven’t stopped showing everyone I can! …I do still have to figure out a way to tackle the older parts… Nonetheless, I am so excited. Like Laura above, I would have gladly paid for this! And I make the same offer, if you ever need a few parts just ask!

16. Laura says:

Tom, THANK YOU SO MUCH. I JUST PRINTED OUT ALL THE LABELS AND JUST KEPT SMILING. TOOK ME UNDER AND HOUR TO INSTALL THE LABEL MAKER AND GET EVERYTHING PRINTED. I think putting the labels on the drawers will take longer. I truly would have paid for this and have purchased pre-made labels in the past but it was just a basic set and just pictures. Yours are so much better. If you ever need a few parts just ask. If I have them, they’re yours and no shipping charges.

17. Kevin says:

Hello Tom,
    What if I just wanted to print them out in sheets from my PC and apply them that way? Would it be possible to create a PDF for that way of doing it? I”ll await for your thoughts and thanks again Tom.

Kevin

• tomalphin says:

Kevin, The label printer that I recommend is preferred as the labels are durable plastic, waterproof and good quality. I also provided a PDF, but it is intended for you to print it on normal paper and use as a guide to help you organize your collection. (It isn’t intended for you to use the PDF to create your labels, but you can try.)

Sincerely,
      —tom

18. Laura says:

Tom, about 10 years ago my husband and I took over a small business and I was doing alot of data entry online. At our location, only dial-up service was available and it took a long time between pages so I started building Lego Star Wars sets while waiting. I quickly noticed I had many spare parts so got a couple of the Akro-Mils storage containers. Those have turned in to 5 containers (2 small drawer and 3 large drawer) and 9 small 3-drawer sterite containers. We are just completing the final sort after years of not doing so and grandkids playing with spare parts, and my Lego collection has grown as well. All the Star Wars sets along with the city buildings, Harry Potter, Atlantis, Minecraft and more. I was starting to take pictures of each piece to make new labels. I had purchased some color ones a few years ago but they did not include all the parts I have. I just found your labels and THANK YOU so much. You have saved me alot of time. I will be ordering the label maker you suggested using your link. Perhaps you could link to Amazon Smile as well so those of us using that could still make our donations.

@Laura,
      Thank you for the kind words. I am always happy to hear that the labels are saving people a lot of time and hassle, since a well-organized LEGO collection is a very happy thing indeed. Hopefully the label collection is complete enough to meet your needs since some of your sets are older – I only included labels for extremely common discontinued LEGO elements.

I thank you for using my referral links, the small portion of your purchase that I receive as a reward helps me cover the costs of my website. (Unfortunately, Amazon Smile is limited to registered non-profits, but you can always click one of my links before making purchases at Amazon.)

Sincerely,
      —tom

19. Tim says:

Thanks for this; can finally organize our sprawling collection which dates back to 1980. Dumb question: how have you secured your Akro-Mils drawer units to each other and to the wall behind it? They easily fall over if pulled too hard by my sons and it is such a disaster! I start yelling like the Will Ferrell dad in the Lego Movie. Again, strong work!

• tomalphin says:

I screwed 1×2 pine strips to the wall, and used two 3/4″ screws with a large head to attach the cabinets to the pine boards on the notches. It is still possible to lift a cabinet off the screws, but they won’t fall off easily. Note that you would need two pine boards per row if you choose this option, since you need one on the bottom as well to keep the cabinets level. (Another option would be a piece of plywood, but I have not tried this.)

Good luck Tim! I’m glad to hear you are happy with the cabinets and labels!

20. John G says:

Another request for the next release – 30136 Palisade Brick 1×2 and 30137 Palisade Brick 1×4